Just because school is not in session doesn’t mean that you can’t very easily keep yourself busy in the ‘burg over the summer. As residents, you have access to our pool, our game room, the beach volleyball court, and the dozens of other awesome amenities that make Aspen Heights so awesome. But what if you want to leave the gates and go have some fun in Harrisonburg? Here’s 10 of our favorite activities to help make your summer one to remember.
1. Cool off with an ice cream cone at Kline’s – you can even bring your pup and treat them to their own bowl! Their South Main and downtown location at East Wolfe Street offer a variety of treats and a special flavor of the week that rotates every Wednesday. Check out their menu here!
2. Grab some friends and float down the North River to escape the heat! Just a twenty-minute drive down Port Republic Road and be sure to bring your own inner tubes. It’s a smart idea to bring two cars so that you can park one at the top of the river and one at the bottom (carrying your tubes all the way up the river would be a hike).
3. Bring a blanket and enjoy a movie under the stars right here in Harrisonburg at Westover Park. Or, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, enjoy a drive-in movie at Family Drive In Theater or at Hull’s Drive In (both about an hour drive away). Visit their websites to find out what movies are playing!
4. Cheer on the Harrisonburg Turks for nine innings at the ballpark! All home games are played at Veterans Memorial Park (by Memorial Hall), and if you have a free afternoon, make sure to check out their schedule here. With the local favorite currently at the top of the Valley Baseball League Standings, now is a pretty good time to go.
5. Tee-off at one of Harrisonburg’s golf courses! Sandy Bottom, Heritage Oaks, Spotswood Country Club, Packsaddle Ridge Golf Club, & Lakeview Golf Courses. Heritage Oaks was the winner of both the Virginia Living Magazine “Best of Virginia 2015” and Daily News Record’s “Best of the Valley 2015” awards – making this course the perfect challenge for all skill levels. While golfing at the Packsaddle Ridge Golf Course, you can enjoy the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley all around you, and also offers the option to play either nine or 18 holes.
(photo from heritageoaksgolf.com)
6. The National Park Service turns 100 this August! Get some exercise and enjoy the scenic views hiking on Skyline Drive with a hike that’s right for everyone. Remember to always check current weather conditions before setting off on a hike, and to wear appropriate footwear and clothing for the season. It’s always necessary to bring food and plenty of water for all hikes to stay hydrated!
7. Eat locally and support Harrisonburg farmers at the Harrisonburg Farmers Market! The Market is currently open from 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Their products include a variety of baked goods, eggs, cheeses, meats, soups, jams, jellies, honey and local crafts. Depending on the season you will also find fresh fruits and vegetables from apples to zucchini, herbs, fresh flowers and plants.
8. Make “grocery shopping” fun by picking fresh fruit at one of the many farms in the area! At Middle River Farms you can pick fresh strawberries. The Strawberry Farm has been in operation at this location since 1982, and in the past few years they have added pumpkins and other fall decorations, grass feed beef, and pastured chicken eggs to their operation.
9. Challenge your friends to bowling, billiards, darts, and more at Ruby’s Arcade. And what outing is complete without good food? Their menu includes wood fired pizza, burgers, salads, sandwiches, and appetizers. They’re open Tuesday through Sunday with extended hours on Fridays and Saturdays!
10. The thirty-minute hike up the mountain to Massanutten is well worth the drive! The breathtaking property features 6,000 acres of mountain fun at its very best and has secured a spot as one of the premier all-seasons resort destinations on the East Coast. The Resort offers a variety of unique amenities including the Indoor/Outdoor Water Park and two fantastic golf courses. The Massanutten Recreation Center also offers go karting and more!